Why Choose a Home Birth with a Midwife
Benefits of Home Birth
- Pregnancy and birth are natural and normal processes for healthy women. Midwives trust the birth process and affirm each woman's ability to give birth.
- Women experience less pain at home.
- Mothers experience more autonomy and have a greater sense of control and security at home.
- Mothers receive personalized and holistic care.
- Mothers and babies receive less medical interventions.
- Babies are born into a calm and comforting environment where they are treated gently.
- Siblings can participate, and have greater bonding with the new one.
- Midwives have an excellent record of safety with numerous studies associating midwifery care with excellent outcomes.
The family is encouraged to participate in the birth journey.
The midwife will provide continuous support during labor and birth.
Midwives Model of Care
The Midwives Model of Care is based on the fact that pregnancy and birth are normal life processes.
The Midwives Model of Care includes:
- Monitoring the physical, psychological and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle
- Providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, and postpartum support
- Minimizing technological interventions; and
- Identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention.
The application of this woman-centered model of care has been proven to reduce the incidence of birth injury, trauma and cesarean section.
Copyright © 1996-2009, Midwifery Task Force, Inc., All Rights Reserved